When we’ll pick up interviewing for the role:
When we think we’ll need someone to start:
AV Support Engineer
Full time; permanent
It’s an exciting time here at Vanti; we’re growing fast and need to expand our support team to help serve our London clients. So, we’re on the lookout for an AV Support Engineer who will join the team on a permanent basis! If you’re a problem solver, with experience in networked AV and control systems, as well as someone who wants to work in an environment full of passionate individuals, then this is the position for you.
As an AV Support Engineer, you will be part of our Service team, resolving technical issues remotely and on client sites. You’ll be largely based onsite at one of our biggest clients in central London, from where you’ll work on support tickets appropriate to your skillset, travelling to other clients’ sites when required. As you’ll often be the face of Vanti support, you’ll need to be great with people (especially if those people aren’t happy that the screen in their meeting room isn’t working!) and really good at prioritising and communicating.
You will be one of the first points of contact for any AV-related issues from both our internal team as well as all of our external clients throughout the UK. Your main duties will be logging, prioritising, and solving support requests and live incident tickets, keeping an eye on our remote monitoring tools, as well as providing onsite support, set up and maintenance.
Firstly, because we know how important it is to give people an idea of what they’d be earning in this role, the salary range we’ve got in mind is £30,000 to £35,000. If that sounds ok to you (or even if it doesn’t), we’d like to say a bit more about salaries, so please read on…
Vanti is a privately owned, small, growing business. We’re completely bootstrapped (meaning we’ve never taking investment) and we’ve learned how to be frugal and smart with our spend. That being said, we’re doubling in size year on year and the demand for what we do is getting bigger and bigger, so investing in great people is key. We’re not fans of putting people into ‘boxes’ and limiting their ability to evolve their role over time; we find that change is constant for us, so the role you do today might look very different in a few months’ time (sometimes more responsibilities, sometimes harder ones… sometimes something completely new!).
This evolving nature of people’s roles means we’ve found it challenging to develop salary grades and bandings, and very much rely on what feels fair following conversations with potential new team members. We have a rough idea in mind of what salaries we pay for certain types of roles based on current team members and market rate (hence the range we’ve advertised for this role), but we prefer to have conversations with candidates and discuss what they’re looking for – especially individuals who rely on a minimum income to support families.
We would hate to say “we will only pay up to £35,000” and for that to put someone off who could add huge value to our growth journey. This means that the range listed at the top of this section could actually have a higher upper bound, but we can guarantee you that it definitely won’t be below the lower figure.
We’re super transparent and happy to chat about all things finance, money and problems very openly, so feel free to ask us if you’d like to know more!
We expect you’ll spend much of your time…
- Troubleshooting and resolving client issues and queries remotely and on client sites (mostly around London)
- Performing daily remote system checks to ensure equipment and room functionality across multiple sites
- Proactively taking tickets that meet your skillset
- Creating new tickets from calls and in-person client requests
- Working closely with internal teams and external clients to provide support for AV/control systems and hardware
- Liaising with other team members on solutions when you need additional input or support (or when you can help them out)
- Performing quality assurance checks on Vanti kit and identifying any issues that need resolving
- Conducting routine testing, health checks, and problem diagnosis
- Documenting solutions to problems and troubleshooting methods
What your responsibilities will look like
- Supporting a wide variety of AV/control systems software and hardware
- Ensuring all support issues you work on are raised and solutions documented within the Service team’s help desk system
- Providing AV/control systems firmware/software upgrades as required
- Assisting in the commissioning of AV/control systems
- Providing onsite technical support
- Diagnosing and rectifying faults to ensure that all systems are fully functional, and that equipment and system down time are kept to a minimum
- Creating documentation relating to the systems you support, including troubleshooting advice and solutions to common issues
- Configuring a wide range of networked video conferencing and AV equipment and control systems
- Managing your own ticket queue and continually assessing priorities to ensure we meet our service level agreements and all clients receive and exceptional service
You should apply if…
- You have had exposure to AV/control systems such as Crestron, Cisco, AMX etc.
- You’re great with people, and don’t get flustered when dealing with clients – even if you’re talking to an unhappy CEO!
- You want the opportunity to work with (and play with) the very latest technology
- You thrive in busy environments and are comfortable spinning several plates at once
- You’re good at prioritising in the heat of the moment, and are able to communicate in a way that keeps everyone happy
- You’re willing to try new things, make mistakes, and learn by doing. If you get thrown into the deep end, you should swim every time, even it’s only doggy-paddle!
- You want to belong to a team of fantastic folks that works in a slightly different way, and who are continually sharing ideas with each other and learning.
- You want to contribute to something awesome, and grow and develop with us over time.
We’re not looking for someone who:
- Is only in it for the money
- Doesn’t care about the work they’re doing
- Isn’t interested in the bigger picture
There’s nothing wrong with being motivated by money or seeing a job as just a job, but it’s very unlikely that such a person would feel fully satisfied and fulfilled working at Vanti.
As previously mentioned, this role will be based out of one of our client’s offices in central London (Southwark, to be precise). We support a lot of technology for this client and they’d like one of our team to be there permanently, while also knowing you’ll sometimes be required at other client sites across the city. When the world returns to normal, we’ll also expect you to travel up to Vanti HQ in Birmingham as and when required (likely once or twice a month).
The interview process will consist of an initial introductory telephone screen which is to get to know you a little more as well as share some more detail about the role. There will then be 2x video interviews which we try and do in one day, but where diaries prove a little tough to match up, we may have to spread out over different dates. Please advise us at the beginning on as much of your availability and preferences as possible.
All career development plans are tailored to every individual. We don’t believe in the career ‘ladder’, we believe personal and professional development is complex and ongoing, so we will continually look to support you in both your learning and which roles and responsibilities you’d like to take on.
If this sounds like something you want to know more about, please email Danniie, our Talent Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and she’ll be happy to answer any queries or questions you may have.